Kennedy Center Internship

The purpose of this blog is to track my progress and work as a Vilar Institute Intern at the Kennedy Center, in Washington, DC.

Monday, November 15, 2004

Beginning another week.

So, the post didn't exactly make it on Friday. I was quite busy that day! Liana and I went to Chrome in Georgetown twice, so that we could get the photograph of Stephen A. Schwarzman's carving to his mother. I think the gesture is so nice, and the effort shows real thought and sensitivity to a very cherished chairman of the board. Way to go, MG team!

Other than helping the office to get that done, I have been continuing work on my Forbes 400 list project. I finished a briefing on Friday on John W. Kluge, who is very instrumental in the entertainment industry (he is the founder and chairman of Metromedia). I spent a pretty good amount of time compiling information on the man, who actually had a very interesting life. I try to set personal deadlines for each briefing, so that I know everything will get done. Its just very interesting to me to piece together all the little bits of an individuals life, and form the big picture in a short document. One of my critical incidents was getting this briefing out, as well as knowing that my briefing on Larry Ellison went out to staff members to look over. He is a potential donor, who MAY be attending the Honors awards this year. I was happy that I could finish up the work quickly and thoroughly, send it to Kara, who then sent it out to Marie Mattson. It's very exciting to know that my work will make it that far up the chain! Either way, the briefings have been going well, and I cannot complain in that department.

I am really starting to see how intergral the work I do is, and what happens to it after I complete the research. I would like to continue to learn about the next steps in the process. The most positive thing I am so thankful to be bringing out of this experience is that my research skills have really improved. This is a skill that will be helpful no matter avenue in arts management I choose to pursue. With all the briefings I have prepared, I know that I'm ready for the next step.

So, I believe those are all my "critical incidents," at least for the moment. I don't have too much else to report, except that things are going well. I'm starting to think about my final paper for the internship class (eep!), which will be a lot of work to get done. Hopefully, I will be able to pace myself for all the work to come. Just wait for grad school...

In the news...The Washington Post review of "Two Trains Running" (11/11/04) was fairly good, noting some line issues with the actors, as well as a pacing problem for the entire production. I would really like to see the show, as I read the play while I was in high school, and I really enjoyed the text. August Wilson is a skilled playwright, and his work is always thought provoking and interesting. In Saturday's Post (11/13/04), there were two articles of interest. The first discussed the actor who had a heart attack during Baryshnikov's Forbidden Christmas. He remains hospitalized at GWU Hospital, and everyone is praying for his recovery. The other article highlighted the BSO (Baltimore Symphony Orchestra) and their wonderful last production to take place in Baltimore. The orchestra will be moving to Strathmore Hall in North Bethesda (near where I live). The review was great, and it sounds like a show worth seeing and hearing.