Kennedy Center Internship

The purpose of this blog is to track my progress and work as a Vilar Institute Intern at the Kennedy Center, in Washington, DC.

Friday, October 08, 2004

TGIF!

Thank god it's Friday!!!!!

The week has creeped by, filled with a TON of research and digging for information. I am so ready for the weekend.

When we had our MG office meeting on Monday, I was greeted with a slew of comments about my reserach, which I was totally happy about! I was finally getting some critique of my work. For the most part, everything was good. I needed some work with putting information under the right heading. Also, I will be working on follow through; putting the file in Tessitura, sending out the email to necessary parties about the potential donor, etc. The research is easy enough to do, but making sure the information gets to the right person is important. I'm really working hard to get all the pieces to the puzzle learned, even though Kara says its not necessary for me to know "everything." Oh well...can't blame me for trying! So now, for 2 of my briefings, its on to someone else! I've done the research to help out, and I'm starting to feel really good about it.

This week hasnt been too productive in terms of events that really meant something. I was given a new project to work on, though. I get to call different arts organizations, and ask for their annual reports. The reason for this tiresome task is to see what other organizations our donors contribute to. It's really neat to talk to people from all over the country, and you get a ton of respect when you mention you are from the Kennedy Center. I guess the critical part is that I was given the new assignment, which is exciting.

I recieved a call from Gregg Henry in Education, who gave me the information to stop by at a rehearsal of "Light of Excalibur." I was really psyched, and I went to RR6 on Thursday morning, but the stage manager was not there to meet with me. I think I will try again next week! :-)

Moving forward to...In the News! The New York Post had two different articles this week about the physical structure of the theatres in NY. The first focused on The Producers, and how two musicians have to sit in the "Sky Pit" to play. There is no room for them to play in the real pit, so they are situated in a room above the theatre where they can read, do their taxes, and balance their checkbooks during a performance. The other article, posted today, discusses how small the seats in Broadway theatres are. Many theatres have not undergone renovations in many years, making the structures in them outdated.

According to the Washington Times, PBS has selected Crystal City as its new headquarters. The City Museum of Washington is not doing well financially, and many people do not get the chance to go and visit. The museum is doing very poorly, and has chosen not to continue forward with the exhibition of "funky furniture" it originally proposed. The artists are less than thrilled.