Kennedy Center Internship

The purpose of this blog is to track my progress and work as a Vilar Institute Intern at the Kennedy Center, in Washington, DC.

Friday, September 17, 2004

Still Getting Used to Things...

Things have been going a lot better. It is a difficult thing to be thrown into "corporate America" right away, and to have college obligations at the same time. The sheer fact that I can't go to bed when I would like is difficult. It's truly something you need to be disciplined for. I'm happy that I can stage manage at the same time as this, but lets face it...I definetly need some sleep.

Anyway, I have been learning so much here. I know at least a few of the other intern's names...I should probably know more. I'm trying my best! My first critical incident happened just today. I was not looking forward to the "group bonding" activity (there's a trend here!). But it was actually a lot of fun! The facilitator, Deidre Lavrakas, works in Production. I was excited to meet someone from that department, since I would love to potentially work for them as an SM. I had a great time putting together a little skit with my group. I actually had a really good time! Anyway, I think the critical part of this incident was that I felt the beginnings of a connection with some of the other interns, and I made a connection with an individual from another department, which is one of my goals and objectives. Things are moving on the right course.

My second critical incident is fairly predictable, but I am happy to report it. I was working so hard on my first briefing, and, of course, I was unsure about almost everything. I made a rough copy for my supervisor to look at. She made a few changes with me, and I made sure to understand why everything needed to be changed. I sent the final copy to Kara via e-mail, and she forwarded it to all of my co-workers in Major Gifts, as well as Ed Zakreski, Tom West, James Steichen, and Jennifer Renner. I was so happy because she noted that my briefing was excellent. It really made me happy to know that my work is appreciated by my supervisor.

In the Washington Post last week, it was reported that Michael Kaiser will continue his position as President of The Kennedy Center until 2011, with an even high salary than he has currently. Also, the Honors awards recipients were announced! Warren Beatty, Joan Sutherland, John Williams, Ossie Davis and Ruby Dee, and Sir Elton John. I can't wait to see how this event is planned, implemented, and carried out smoothly. It seems like such a daunting task, but everyone here is very calm and collected.

The interns in the Development office were assigned to work at the NSO Ball, so I am looking for a dress to wear. Lots of running around, I'm sure. :-)