Kennedy Center Internship

The purpose of this blog is to track my progress and work as a Vilar Institute Intern at the Kennedy Center, in Washington, DC.

Monday, October 18, 2004

No project too difficult!

Things are going well. Last week was not too bad, considering the amount of sleep that I didn't get. Oh well...

Last week was great. I got a lot of my work done. I also had an interview with Bill Matson, so that I could introduce him for the seminar he gave us. He seems like a great theatre manager. I am going to submit my resume to him, so maybe I can Stage Manage here after I am done as an intern. He was really interesting to learn about, and kind of reminded me of myself, and how he didnt aspire to be an arts manager...it just evolved. Here is the introduction I wrote for him:

Bill Matson has been the Terrace Theatre Manager here at the Kennedy Center since 1991. His major responsibility is to have a bird’s eye view of the Terrace Theatre, and make sure everything works as efficiently as possible. Before evolving into a performing arts manager, he was in educational administration for 7 years as the Assistant Dean of the Music School at Catholic University. His duties at Catholic involved producing an annual concert at the Kennedy Center’s Concert Hall. Through his contact with the Kennedy Center, Bill decided it was time for a change, and applied to be the Assistant Manager at the Concert Hall, a position he held for 3 years before switching to the Terrace Theatre. Bill attended the State University of NY at Fredonia as a Music Major focusing on Vocal Performance and Education, and attended Wesley Theological Seminary for graduate work in Religion and Philosophy.

Please join me in welcoming Bill Matson.


So, the introduction went well, and I enjoyed interviewing him. I'll have to see something at the Terrace Theatre now!

This past Friday, I ate lunch with the Major Gifts office, and we had a really nice time! I normally eat lunch at my desk, so I can get some work done. But since it was Friday, we decided to go eat lunch together. It was such a good time! I found many things I have in common with my fellow co-workers, which is always nice to discover.

In the news...The Washington Post (10/13) announced that the co-founder of Subway will be donating a rare Burmise ruby to the Smithsonian Museum. The ruby is 23.1 carats, and is being donated in memory of his late wife. The New York Post also announced that same day that Frank Gehry (the architect with close ties to Peter B. Lewis, of Progressive Insurance) will be building the performing arts complex at Ground Zero. His designs are very different, and it should be interesting what he decides to do. In the Washington Post (10/14), there was an article examining the "Culture Vulture" program that the WPAS has instituted. The program targets individuals between 21-39, and is meant to increase attendance at arts events by this age group.